Thursday 10 March 2011

Image, mini evaluation



I have really enjoyed 'Image'. Although, I have definitely preferred certain aspects to others. 
 - COLOUR
- IMAGE AS TYPE

I managed to get very involved with the 'type as image' brief, it seemed quite an open brief, and there was room to experiment across a wide range of design ideas and production methods. I also have always been interested in combining literature with design. My design context is full of work that has been produced with literature&creativity in mind. 
As for colour, it has played a large role in the work I have produced, I feel it can change a piece of design dramatically. It's also a chance for me to include choose colours that are appropriate, but also make something look better and more visually appealing. 
2D to 3D to 2D, was fun to play around with, the initial process was exciting and was a chance to be really creative, I liked the illustrative part of it at the beginning. I always find, that when I try to make something, it doesn't really look worth the time and effort I put into it? BUT when I see other work that has been hand crafted it is inspiring. Maybe I need to spend more time doing it? Not be so impatient. 
I felt the eye chart and the images that accompanied the articles were good briefs to progress through. They weren't the ones I enjoyed the most though, although I didn't see myself putting them off, or not wanting to do them. I was still motivated to design, even draw images. Especially with the images to support the article, I saw it as a way to explore the ways I like to produce/design work, seeing as I used drawing, painting and graphically produced image. I still haven't pinned down a specific area of interest, which sometimes I am glad of but sometimes, I feel it can get in the way of making quick design decisions. 
BOOK BRIEF, was unnecessarily hectic. I am disappointed with the books I have produced, I made the wrong decision at the start which made me continue producing something I didn't really like and didn't get involved with. Because of this, I changed my idea completely last minute, which I thought I liked... when I printed the pages, I printed them wrong, I also had to use a cheap stock because I was poor at the time, which meant the prints looked rubbish, and didn't fold right. So then I went back to the original idea I had because I felt it was better than the one I had come up with! So I basically wasted 3 days. I had a laser cutting slot booked for the friday, which I wanted to use effectively, I felt the fish shapes were a little more interesting then just circles (which I was going to use for the new idea). All in all, I made a lot of bad decisions, wasted a lot of time, and was disappointed in the work I produced!

SO.
I want to really push myself for this last brief, I feel it is so open I can do something that can show my potential. I am interested in using a different process like, screen printing, wood burning, laser cutting, book binding? I really enjoyed the type as image brief, so I might do something along the lines of that. However, seeing as my book was so bad, I don;t know if I want to produce a really well binded, well designed, well thought out book. It's contents could range from 'image as type' related stuff, or I could do something illustrative that could be something enjoyable to think about and produce. I feel I haven't done much photography recently, so maybe I will look into that too. 
BOOK
SELECTION OF DESIGNS

No comments:

Post a Comment