Thursday 1 December 2011

Flicks -varied, related, series

Something that Joe and I discussed in my meeting was how I had established a layout/design that could run throughout the magazines, but hadn't yet taken it further where I could actually design the covers individually as well. Although I had manipulated the images, and changed them, they were the only things that changed throughout (other than the date, selected films). I needed to have more flexibility within the design.

If an image didn't sit well underneath the particular colour type than there needs to be the flexibility to change it.

This is why I want to change the colour of the typeface according to how well it sits with the image, I also want to have the main feature film, placed on the cover other than the spine. Hierarchy!

Here is a more revised cover for January:


I chose blue because it went well with the browns and blacks that existed in the image. I also tried using the same typeface as 'Flicks' for 'The King's Speech'. I overlapped it so create more a merge between the strip on the right and the image. 

Further experimentation, changing colour and different layout/concepts for cover feature:



I have decided to make the main title of each film, relate to the film in some way. I have looked at either their existing film posters to see what type of font was used, I have also thought about the film in general and how it can be communicated through type.
Each magazine issue also has a different colour for 'FLICKS', the colour relates to the film in some way, or sits nicely on top of the specific image that is on the cover.

Here are the 12 covers:











No comments:

Post a Comment